CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

1.5.06

He's done!!!

One decade ago, January 1996, Joshua Genn entered the NBBC campus, with a promise to his parents that he would stay for one semester. Well, one semester came and went, with many more to follow (with one or two "forced" absences in the middle. Finally May of 2001 rolled around and it was his turn to graduate. He had learned a lot in those 5 years. Perhaps more from experiences than from books, but a lot nonetheless. A few days before graduation his parents come out along with my parents, his future in-laws. They were to meet for the first time. So this was a big weekend in more ways than one. His mother came bearing congratulation chocolate bars. 90% hardwork, 10% fun - or something like that. Well, the day before grad he got the news that he had recieved a D in Greek. Not so bad, except that he needed a C to pass. Well, with the words of his teacher ringing through his head "Well, you should have told me you needed a C", Joshua sat through graduation in the bleachers wearing a hawaiian shirt instead of a cap and gown. They told him he had 5 years to complete Greek....
Well, we got married that summer, and time flew by. Before we knew it, almost four years had passed and we were eagerly expecting a baby. It was then that we realized that if he wanted to finish his schooling, he had to be registered for the upcoming school year. So we started looking, and realized that there weren't a lot of good Bible schools in Canada - especially ones that Northland would accept Greek credits from. We "accidentally" heard about CSBS. We had been to Cochrane before, and had no idea there was a seminary there. So we went to visit, and spoke with Dr. Booth. (He teaches Greek). He told Josh that he had never failed anyone before. Josh took that as a challenge, but I was sold. Well God wanted us here. It still seems so wierd that we moved across the country for one Greek class, but we all know that God has bigger plans than we could ever imagine. So, Joshua started Greek in August. More than once he seriously considered quitting. At one point I thought he would. It seemed like there was no way he could pass. Then I realized what Dr. B meant - they all quit before he had a chance to fail them. So Josh went to talk to him and he said he thought Josh could make it - so he kept going. On Monday he took his final - we were all on pins and needles. All Dr. Booth said was "You need a C? Well, you got it." By God's grace he had passed (and a little from Dr.B) I'm so proud of him. This may seem like a small thing to most of you, but this was a mountain to Josh. Actually, he's climbed mountains, and this was way harder than that. So next Saturday, Josh will be graduating from NBBC. We won't be attending, because truthfully he doesn't really care about that. He doesn't really care about getting a degree, or knowing more Greek (even though he thinks it's important). This was about finishing. Something he started 10 years ago is now completed.
Now I'm just waiting for a phone call from Northland "Well, I just wanted to let you know that we have changed some policies. Yeah, there's this prison trip...."

11 comments:

G. A. Dietrich said...

Genn's:

You know, it is almost funny that you put in the end of your post about needing a prison trip. I just went back and took a look and he does indeed need another trip. It isn't a prison trip but a rescue mission trip. So I am not real sure what they can do about it...except, well, let's just say it isn't a big deal.

Congrat's Josh! We can now all truely enjoy your chocolate bars (which I was there for and remember quite vividly).

So what does the future hold for this graduate?

Karen said...

Congratulations, Josh---and you, too, Kelly! I'm sure you (the support team) deserve a party just as much as Josh! How are you going to celebrate this?

Kelly Glupker said...

Congratulations to you two! Your last line was a crack up Kelly! Funny how those policies always seem to change at the worst time.
-Kelly

David said...

Kelly, please convey to Joshua how proud and pleased I feel to have known him. What an excellent example of determination. Wow. If I remember correctly, Josh was in Lemanskie's class (sp), not mine. Wow. I'm pumped. Way to go, Josh! Congratulations. I hope the next decade is as fruitful and fun-filled as the last, with ever more mountains, physical and intellectual.

Unknown said...

Genn's, please tell Josh, Congrats for me, and how proud I am to say that I knew him. When I heard that his name was on the list for Graduating Seniors I was like "wow, i think they missed him by a few years" and then I realized. That is so awesome, and the feeling of being done is great. I will have to wait a few more years as well till I can have a feeling like that. I will be done w/ NBBC however!!

skindleshanks said...

Hi Kelly,
Nice to catch up on what you've been up to. Check out my site and the site that I've made for a sort of "online" 10-year class reunion at http://fa96.blogspot.com/
Look forward to hearing more from you!

Unknown said...

Congrats to all of you! Completing a degree is definitely a family achievement. oh my, I didn't know that about Josh's almost-graduation in 2001. What a bummer. I know what that feels like sort of. I almost didn't graduate in 99 becuase I didn't take Christian service very seriously.

Now that he's finished, what are your family plans? Are you staying in Cochrane?

Hairgrove Hangout said...

Hey Josh - I rejoice with you over your accomplishment as it reflects the heart of the Josh I knew and served with at NBBC - and the one who shared his passion for God and others on the "wild west" church planting trip - and the Josh who was willing to take risks to minister to anybody for the cause of Christ! You're a blessing and encouragement to me. I look forward to hearing of how our Awesome God continues to use you and your family for His glory!
In His Service,
Pastor Jerry Hairgrove

Chris Bruno said...

Congratulations. Make sure that they send you your towel.
crb

Shyla said...

congrats Josh! It's gotta feel great to get the perverbial greek monkey off of your back! I thought it was great that dad hairgorve signed on - can you imagine if it came down to not having completed a prison trip! LOL that would be the worst! :)
Congrats - and I ditto Chris on the towel! It's schnazzy!

christina said...

wow, way to go josh! i gotta say, after all that i would've probably said forget it. one lousy greek class and you finished the job. well done.
and kelly, you are such a sweetie. what a nice tribute to your hubby. i would have been all over nathan's back. "are you EVER gonna get that done??"
good job, genns.

chrisina