CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

27.9.06

OH HE'S SO CUTE!

"Thank you, but she's actually a girl." That has been a common conversation for me lately - the plight of poor blonde babies. It usually then continues something like this "Oh I'm so sorry, it's hard to tell" or "Oh, I should have known by the socks" or the overly polite people " Of course, she's so beautiful, how could I ever think she's a boy!"
Now this doesn't really bother me. It is quite hard to tell sometimes, especially when she's wearing green or brown. I still get the comments sometimes though when she is entirely in pink. Like, how cruel do you think I am, dressing my boy in pink!? Anyway, I still just smile and politely answer, knowing some people just don't think before they talk.
But, what really gets me going are the downright rude people. "Oh, it's a girl? Wow, she really looks like a boy. Don't you think she looks like a boy?" Are you kidding me, like weren't you taught to not always say exactly what you are thinking. I guess I just don't get it. Like do you think I can do something to change the fact that you think my child looks like a boy, or maybe I will just figure out that I've been wrong all along. "Wow, it really is a boy. Thanks so much for pointing that out."
All I ask is please, if you get it wrong, just don't try to change my mind. I think she's beautiful, so just say sorry.

8 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

I can honestly tell you that I have never thought Ella looked like a boy. She is absolutely beautiful - and all girl. Those people just don't know what they are talking about. I am glad you don't let it get to you!

Tricia said...

I've had the same thing happen in reverse. Now I know that sometimes that it's hard to tell, but take a look at the clothes and at least take a stab at the most likely choice! They would be dressed with blue airplanes on their shirt and poeple would still say...what a pretty little girl. It doesn't really bother me, but it just seems odd. Ella is beautiful by the way and very girlish in my opinion.

Katie said...

Ella so does NOT look like a boy, but a pretty little girl. Some people. I'm with Tricia and have to endure people thinking Luke's a boy. I admit that sometimes I wistfully pull his hair together and imagine (if he were a girl) what a cute little pony tail it would make, but I still think he looks like a boy! I'm getting sick of relatives wanting me to cut his hair too. They had their own kids and did what they wanted. Now it's my turn, and most kids don't have curly hair, and I'm not cutting it all off!

Whoa, sorry about that venting. Ella is really beautiful. :)

the johnson crew said...

KATIE, i NEVER told you to cut lukies hair...although it did look pretty funny at our wedding when his hair was long all over except the bald spot at the back of his dark head. KELLY, ella is beautiful and i think she does look like a girl and she looks a lot like you too! - i have only had one person say anna was a cute little boy, i think most people just wonder "why is she so white and her baby so black?"

Genns said...

Thanks guys, I really needed that. I agree that she looks like a girl, but people just expect more hair. It's good to have your support though. :)
Kelly

Katie said...

Thanks Janelle. You always know how to say exactly the wrong thing in such public ways. When will you grow out this?

Sorry for bringing a siblig spat to your comment board, Kelly. She started it though.

Karen said...

i can relate! just today someone said "ooooh, just look at him!" she did have a blue shirt on, but it was completely covered by her HUGE pink bib that says "thank heaven for little girls!" whatever!

skindleshanks said...

We get that all the time with our daughter--but we've been cruel enough to dre our son in pink on occasion. There was a baker at the supermarket who for nearly a year and a half always came out to talk to me and give treats to Saylen. Just before he moved away he asked me, --- is he a boy or a girl? He had just assumed when I said "my son" in Korean I was making a mistake. I get more annoyed when people think I don't know what I'm saying than when they get mixed up about my kids--I honestly can't always tell with Korean babies, either.
I don't think it will mess up their little minds any more than anything else life throws at them, though.
(Ella's very cute, by the way!)